Thought for the day - Modifications to the boat

The roller bearing jib pivot from Sailsetc works brilliantly in a breeze but when the wind dies the geometry of the fitting is such. it does not allow the jib to swing freely to pick up the faintest breeze. I got my jib clamps today so they will go onto my jib booms so I can use a cord jib pivot for next weeks racing giving me full control of the headsail in calm weather.


Isn't it annoying when you have one thing slightly wrong on the boat that can have such a big effect in a certain condition.


Here is how I will fit the clamp.




In any sort of a breeze, my goal is to get the jib boom as low as possible to reduce the centre of effort of the rig. This limits heel and helps reduce nose diving.


Here is the installed fitting. Looking good and I think that is the last I will have to think about the jib fitting. The sheet hook goes in one of 10 holes at 2.5mm intervals so I can get the boom as low as possible. I could have used a bowsie but could not guarantee they would hold securely under load. Now to sort the B and C jib booms with the same fitting




Another niggle on the boat was the mainsheet post. I bought an adjustable post and support from Sailsetc. I sealed it into the boat a bit to well as when I tightened the rubber securing grommet on the mainsheet post, it created an air lock so after I pushed the post in, it compressed the air and when I let go it just pushed right back out. I had to drill a tiny hole at the bottom of the support post to let the air out. As I could not get a drill in the boat I stuck a drill bit into a short piece of dowel and manually drilled the hole. The post now works perfectly.


Other changes.


I added silicon tube to the shrouds and kicker to mark where I need to tighten the threads. I permanently fix the shroud turnbuckle to the boat and attach the screw on the shroud for each rig so I need the silicon to tell me the approximate position and do final adjustments according to conditions.


The cunningham was removed and the luff is tensioned by the tack. I think this is closer to the Britpop method for luff tensioning and jackstay




Summary


The fittings on the boat are now sorted. The configuration is simple. durable and will stand the test of any weather. Now all I need to do is strip the boat, sand and repaint it in its new metallic blue.


Weight wise I have added 34 grams with the leak fixing and I may sacrifice a bit more weight with the new paint but it will make the boat last a few years. I will still have 300 plus grams of correctors. Its not quite professional standard but it is getting closer.

47 views2 comments

Recent Posts

See All